After developing and commercialising electric VTOL drones for more than a decade, Josh saw the opportunity to scale up the technology to the manned aviation industry and started Electro.Aero.
Over the five years, Electro.Aero has achieved many world firsts in electric mobility including:
• Developed one of the first compact proof of concept personal VTOL aircraft prototypes that we called FlyKart, that employed 8 electric ducted fans to carry a person vertically.
• Obtained the first CASA light sport accreditation in Australia for the world’s first two seat electric aircraft at the start of 2018, becoming the first and only company profiting from electric aviation to date.
• Wrote the SAE International standard for electric aircraft charging and are the first company to develop and sell dedicated electric aircraft chargers, compliant to the international standard.
• Last year, developed the world’s first actively stabilized electric hydrofoil personal watercraft called the WaveFlyer, which quite literally flies over waves.
• This year, built and flew the world’s first two seat electric ducted fan microlight aircraft.
In this talk Josh will share some lessons learnt from these projects and other contract work undertaken on various electric aircraft projects, including Bell, XTI Aircraft and NASA to name a few.